Monday, July 20, 2009

Broken Ankle and 40 lbs overweight


How would these two things be related? Here is the brief version of my story:
Friday, March 27, 2009 was a life changing day for me. I was in Northern California for a seminar on how the brain works, given by my brother, Steve Campbell. The seminar was called, 'Making your mind magnificent' based on his book of the same name. More about that later.
On the last day of the seminar I was walking into the room where the seminar was being given. It had three steps down into the room. I lost my focus for just a second or two and stepped into the room and unexpectedly fell down the three stairs. I landed full strength on my foot. The force was so great that my foot was displaced from my ankle and turned at a 90 degree angle.
I was taken to the hospital where I stayed for four days. I had surgery on my ankle and was placed in a 'boot'. My ankle was reconstructed using three plates and about 20 screws. The x-ray looked like an erector set. (For those of you who dont remember erector sets, it is a toy with metal parts that are used to 'erect' toy sky scrapers.) In many cases now days the boot is used instead of a cast. It is a wonderful alternative. Being an RN I have cared for people in casts. The cast can be extremely irritating because the skin inside it drys and flakes and itches with no real way to scratch.
The boot can be opened and the dressing carefully changed.
I stayed in N. California for 5 more days after getting out of the hospital. My brother Scott and his wife, Beth took care of me. Scott took time off work and lovingly took care of my every need. I didnt have the strength to stand on my good leg. So Scott put his arms around me and lifted me whenever I had to go to the bathroom or transfer from one place to the other. It's a good thing that Scott is a big guy, because I was at least 40 lbs overweight!
More on my recovery and my decision to overhaul my body in every way on the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment